Sunday, April 29, 2012

Oatmeal, meds, and weight gain

I started eating oatmeal a few weeks ago for breakfast.  It has since become my routine and if I vary, I don’t like it.  I ran out of the old-fashioned oats but had a big container of the quick-oats so that’s what I’ve been using.  I like to add about a tablespoon of peanut butter and about a tablespoon of brown sugar to my oatmeal.  I should probably lay off the brown sugar but it adds a great flavor.  I don’t eat the “heart healthy” portion, just a regular one serving of 1/2 a cup.  Although I have eaten the other, which is 3/4 of a cup a few times when I was extra hungry.

I recently stopped my cholesterol meds because I am working out 6 days a week and figured that should help with my numbers off meds.  My cholesterol is the hereditary kind so it’s not caused by my diet.  Although that could use some work too.  Smile 

I also stopped another medication a few weeks ago because I was just tired of taking so many pills.  I felt like an old lady.  The other med I stopped taking was Metformin.  I have PCOS (along with insulin resistance) and the Metformin helped my body to process food the correct way so I didn’t pile on weight for no reason.  I figured since we were done having babies (it also helps with fertility in PCOS people) and I was having to work hard not to gain weight anyway, that it would be okay to stop taking it. 

Yes, I spoke with my doctor before stopping any medication.  Since I stopped taking it however, I have gained weight.  I don’t know whether to chalk that up to what I’m putting in my oatmeal every morning or stopping the med.

I have been on this medication since 2004 so maybe I should just face the fact that it will be a life-long medication.  I don’t know.  I have also had almost constant spotting and my face has broken out.  I feel like I’m about to start my period or on it but it’s not time for that yet. 

I see a dietician in a little over a week and I can’t wait!  I have to get my diet under control now as well.  I don’t eat horribly but I do love my sweets and need to break that sugar cycle.  It’s like an addiction. 

No comments: