Saturday, July 30, 2011

Home

Sitting here in the dining room watching Addison do Yoga, I’m thinking about my house and how I want it to feel. This is probably my favorite room in the house right now, but I want every room to be my favorite room for different reasons. The dining room is it because I love the colors and the way everything just seems to fit together nicely. There’s mostly old stuff in this room or stuff that looks old anyway. It’s never very hot in this room and it always gets a good breeze with the windows open. It just feels comfortable, like a gathering place.  
The living room would be my second right now but the empty wall is driving me crazy and I have no idea what to put on it. The color scheme is light brown/tan walls with red furniture that has the same color cording on it as the walls. The rug is the same colors as the walls and the furniture with a little bit of blue and green and yellow mixed in. Behind the big couch is a big, almost empty, wall. Right now there are 3 8x10’s hanging on half the wall and I hate how it all looks. Any suggestions?  I guess I need to make a trip to Hobby Lobby and/or Target and look for a big piece to help with the space. 

I want my house to feel cozy and homey. Like a country cottage out in the middle of a field in a snowstorm with a fire lit in the fireplace and hot chocolate smells drifting through the house. It's hard to describe exactly, but I have the vision in my mind.  I want comfy furniture and handspun rugs with soft lighting all around. Quilts draped over chairs to wrap up and cuddle in. Problems with this scenario: We don’t have a fireplace, it’s too hot for hot chocolate and I’m cheap. I need to start hitting up antique/junk stores I guess and see what I can find.

No comments: