Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Cherish your friends

Friends are hard to come by.  I have a couple friends that I would still call and chat with, if I ever bothered to pick up the phone.  I’m horrible at keeping in touch, but then again, so are they.  It’s a two-way street, keeping in touch.  We all get so busy and just never pick up the phone.  We say, “oh we’ll call tomorrow or over the weekend.”  And we never do.  I always worry that I’m going to be bothering someone or interrupting something and that is my excuse.  I guess I feel like I’m not worthy of someone taking the time out of their busy schedule to just talk to me.  I’m not important enough to interrupt something. 

At the same time, I always wish I had a few friends that I could talk to about anything and everything.  I wish I had friends like I did when I was younger.  We had a great group of girls, there were 4 or 5 of us that used to write in an notebook.  We would leave notes for each other and then pass the book on to the next friend and just rotate it through everyone over and over again.  When I moved away the summer after my freshman year of high school they gave me that book and I still have it.  I really haven’t kept in touch with any of those friends but 1 and that’s sparse as well.  She’s the only one I actually have a phone number for.  I have a few on Facebook but we never really talk to each other. 

I miss friendships like that.  I miss having people to rely and count on when needed and I miss being that person for someone else.  We move so much that it’s hard to make and keep friends.  And even when you do make them, you move and then the keeping in touch problem rises to the surface.  You swear you won’t lose touch and you’ll call and all that, and it just never happens.   

No comments: