Saturday, January 3, 2009

Better Life Tip #1

On MHH in 2007 I believe, someone posted this list. I think they got it from a magazine but i'm not sure. Anyway, it's a list of 40 Better Life Tips and i'll be showcasing different tips at different times.

Today i'm going to talk about this one: "Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present."

I was talking to my mom earlier in the week about a book that she read called, The Shack. She was telling me about how in the book Jesus asked this man where he lived and the man replied that he knew where he lived. However, this wasn't what was meant by the question. What was meant was where did the man live, in the past, present, or future? The man lived alot in the past worrying about past mistakes and things that he should have done differently or wondering how things would be different if he had made different decisions. He also lived in the future worrying about what was to come and the road it would take to get there. I found this very familiar.

I am a person who has always tended to live in the past. I think about the past frequently and never really live in the present. I think about things I should have done or could have done but didn't. I think about how my life would be if I hadn't made certain decisions and where I would be now. I have a big problem letting go of the past and that is something I plan to work on this year. The past is the past and has already been lived and there's nothing I can do to change it, it's time to let it go!

I also, like the man mentioned above, live in the future. I constantly worry about what's coming or how a decision will affect the future. I worry so much about the past and the future that I don't live in the present at all. I don't allow myself the time to enjoy the moment i'm in, instead i'm thinking about what's next. This is another area I plan to work on this year. While I do feel that some worry and thought is necessary for the future, I don't think it should run anyone's life. Being able to live in the moment is something I want to strive for.

Where do you LIVE?

No comments: